Tips for teeth
Tips to keep your children’s teeth healthy
- Start brushing as soon as teeth are present.
- Use a smear of toothpaste for children under 6 years and a pea-sized amount for children over 6 years.
- Use an adult or ‘6-and-up’ fluoride toothpaste.
- Brush teeth twice a day.
- Brush for your children until they are 8 years old (younger children are not able to brush properly themselves).
- Start flossing your children’s teeth as soon as they are touching each other (especially the back teeth)
- Try to decrease the number of times your children eat or drink sweet things – GIVE TEETH A REST
- Encourage your children to drink water as much as possible – especially when drinking from a bottle.
- Ensure that your children wear a well-fitting and comfortable mouthguard for contact sport
- Children (and adults) should see a dentist or dental therapist at least once a year.